We all know that torrenting doesn’t have a good reputation. Even though this is a perfectly legal method of transferring files, it’s usually associated with piracy and copyright infringement. This is the reason why ISPs (Internet Service Providers) block torrent websites and can even throttle your Web connection. As a solution, you need a reliable VPN. So, keep on reading to discover more about the best free VPN for torrenting.
The truth is that you won’t find a free VPN that allows unlimited torrenting. So, we’re going to be honest with you and say that you need to make a compromise. The best case scenario would be to use a VPN only when downloading torrents – and keeping your connection ‘naked’ during other online activities. Keep on reading and you’ll see what we think.
Best Free VPN for Torrenting – No-Mistake Options
Before we continue, you need to know that each of the following suggestions has been tested by our editorial team. We do our best to recommend software based on our objective findings, which makes us sure that you’ll be happy as well. Let’s take a look.
Offered by McAfree, TunnelBear is a reputable VPN service that offers both free-of-charge and premium subscriptions. If you don’t want to pay anything, you will get to use 500MB of bandwidth each month (you can get 500MB more if you tweet about this service).
One of the most beloved features of TunnelBear is its user-friendliness. In case this is your first time using a VPN, you won’t encounter a single problem. Install the software, launch it, and then use an illustrated map to connect to a server. It takes a few seconds for the connection to be made, and all your Web data will be encrypted after that. McAfee doesn’t collect your personal data, and you don’t even need to supply your first name to sign up. On top of all this, there’s no throttling and TunnelBear works flawlessly when it comes to unlocking media streaming services and downloading torrents. In case you ever get stuck, you can find online help (via a ticket system) – even though live chat is missing.
Since the free account comes with 500MB of bandwidth, TunnelBear is great for those who only occasionally need to use a VPN. To learn more about this option, here’s our review of TunnelBear. Please note that we tested the premium-priced plan.
In the realm of free VPNs, Windscribe takes a special place. Known as the best free-of-charge solution, this service grew and now comes with premium plans as well. Still, you can use it free of charge – unless you need a VPN for multiple devices with simultaneous connections.
The chances are that every free VPNs has a bandwidth limitation. So, make sure to investigate this side of a VPN before committing. When it comes to Windscribe, you get 10GB of data each month. Maybe this doesn’t sound like a lot, but it’s one of the best offers you’ll get today. If you need more traffic, you can tweet about the service to get additional 5GB and invite your friends to get 1GB for each that signs up. And finally, it’s worth knowing that you’ll get a built-in ad blocker and a very powerful firewall. All in all, you get plenty of premium-level features even if you don’t spend a single dollar – which makes Windscribe one of the best free VPN for torrenting.
3. Hotspot Shield VPN
Hotspot Shield is one of the oldest VPNs on the market, with numerous users relying on its free service. However, just like other recommendations in this article, it also brings premium placed plans.
If you decide to use Hotspot Shield free of charge, you should be aware of the imposed limitations. You get 500MB of bandwidth per day, and you can connect to US servers only. These might sound like serious limitations, but this is actually one of the best data allowances when it comes to reputable services. Also, 500MB per day might get you plenty of files if you don’t want to download 1080p HD video files. Also, you can use one device using a single account, which shouldn’t be a problem. And finally, there is a helpful support system in case you ever get stuck.
At any moment, you can upgrade to a premium account and unlock the full potential of this VPN. For more information, make sure to read our review of Hotspot Shield (premium edition).
The final option for the best free VPN for torrenting is Hide.me. Even though this VPN service is doing its best to advertise paid plans, it is offered free of charge as well. Let’s take a look at its limitations.
When it comes to torrents, you should know that you’ll be limited to 2GB of data per month. On the other hand, there’s no throttling, and there are no advertisements. The company is using the latest security protocols and doesn’t push free users aside when it comes to offering them support. Of course, these accounts serve as a nice promotional method that should get you to sign up for a premium-priced tier. Still, your free account will never expire, and you can use it as long as you want – if you’re happy with connecting to three available locations.
What Else to Know About Free VPNs for Torrenting?
Now you know your options for the best free VPN for torrenting. As you can see, making the final choice is easier said than done. This is why we’ll provide additional information regarding how to select the best option according to your needs.
Why Do You Need a VPN for Torrenting?
There are dozens of good reasons why you should take care of your privacy online. At the moment, a VPN is your best option for making sure that your traffic is anonymized. Let’s take a look a brief look at why using a VPN is a good idea.
- First and foremost, VPNs encrypt your Web traffic data. This means that your ISP won’t be able to track you. In other words, no one will know if and how you download torrent files. This means avoiding possible consequences like throttling your Web connection or receiving copyright infringement notices. Of course, you should stay away from pirated files and make an effort of finding public domain movies and music, or open source software.
- Then, VPNs can unblock popular torrent websites. The chances are that certain websites are blocked in your country. By connecting to a VPN, you connect to a remotely located server. As a result, websites won’t read your real location, and you’ll be able to open them.
- Finally, VPNs can keep malware at bay. Even though you should use an antivirus when torrenting, VPNs have the power to block unauthorized access. This is imperative when accessing the Web from public connections, like open Wi-Fi networks.
The Dangers of Using Free VPNs
As you can see, it’s impossible to find truly ‘free’ VPNs. Even though you will get to find a nice selection of options, all of them come with certain limitations.
What’s important to know is that you should be wary of VPNs that come without any limitations yet offer their service free of charge. That’s because servers cost money, and so does maintaining them. Needless to say, VPNs need to generate revenue, which is often done by selling your data to third parties. That is precisely why articles like this one are of great help. You can find the best free VPN for torrenting only by knowing what to realistically expect.
Limitations of Free Torrent VPNs
Next, we need to talk about the limitations of free VPNs. As you know by now, a truly free VPN with unlimited bandwidth is impossible to find. So, here’s what kinds of limitations you can expect.
- Speed: It is a common practice for free VPNs to slow down your connection. This means waiting longer for torrents to download – which is something you’ll have to live with.
- Bandwidth: All free VPNs impose certain bandwidth limitations. These can be daily or monthly. In case you want to download one of two large torrent files, you can go with monthly bandwidth limitations. If you want to download a bunch of small files, you can live with daily limitations.
- Logs: We gave our best to find VPNs that don’t keep track of your personal details. Just because you’re using a free VPN, doesn’t mean that you need to compromise on your security.
- Servers: In many cases, you will get to use a few available servers. This should be more than enough when it comes to torrenting. Of course, there are certain exceptions to this rule.
- P2P Support: Last but not the least, some free VPN do not allow torrenting (P2P traffic). Since we’re talking about the best free VPN for torrenting in this article, you won’t find options that forbid P2P traffic.
Considering a Premium VPN
In case you want to make sure you can download torrents without any restrictions, you need to use a premium-priced VPN. This is how all your Web data will be encrypted, your personal details won’t leak, and you can download as much data as you want. Here’s TechNadu’s overview of the best premium-priced VPNs for torrenting, so take a look.
Dear readers, this is where we conclude our article. In case you have something to tell us, please use the comments section found below. We’d love to hear your opinion about the best free VPN for torrenting.
Finally, make sure to share this article online if you think it might be helpful to others. And don’t forget to follow TechNadu on Twitter and Facebook. Thanks!
The post Best Free VPN for Torrenting (2018): High Speeds, No Logs & Straightforward Policies appeared first on TechNadu.